Make these Yule decorations with things you already have!
I made these gorgeous Yule Witch Jars entirely out of things that were already in my house. Ha! And I bet if you’ve read this far, your witch’s pantry is probably also stocked with at least a few extra jars, some dried herbs, crystals, and other cute things that you could use to do something similar.
Not only are they beautiful and super easy to make, but they’re meaningful and customizable to whatever kind of magic you want to create. And this same concept can work for any seasonal altar or sabbat decoration–just change out what’s inside!
The twinkly copper string lights really set them off (and I recommend them!) — but they’re optional. You can do this same thing without the fairy lights, and just light up the jars with candles placed in front, instead. I’ve included pictures below to show you what mine looked like without the lights–still gorgeous.
Ok, ready to craft these Yule decorations? Here’s how!
Things You’ll Need:
- Jars. Use any jars you have on hand, or pick out shapes that you like. Wide mouths are easiest, but you can get creative with narrower ones, too. It’ll look more whimsical if you use all different sizes (like me!) but you can also keep them similar/same and line them up neatly on your mantle or altar.
- Crystals, Herbs, and Trinkets. Again, use anything you have on hand!
- Copper string lights (optional). You can also use candles and candle holders to illuminate the jars.
- Background Art (also optional). Use a tarot card, postcard, print, drawing, photographs of loved ones, or other small art in the back of the jar to set up a little scene. This is a super cute look with almost endless possibilities.
- Anything else you like!
What to do:
Make Your Witch Jars:
Set up each jar with a little vignette inside. Mix herbs, crystals, statuary, art, and whatever else has meaning for you. You can go for looks, or you can mix and match magical elements and correspondences to give each jar a specific intention. This is the fun part where you can get creative and see your jar come to life. Here are some ideas:
- Make a manifestation jar of things you want in the new year
- Use traditional imagery to represent the return of the sun and the light (as I did!)
- Find things that represent your favorite deities or witchcraft folklore (I dare you to make a Baba Yaga or Krampus jar!)
- Create an altar of remembrance for an ancestor or loved one by using their photo
- Or you could come up with something entirely unique to you!
Set up the lights:
Place the jars on your altar, mantle or wherever you’d like them to go. Wrap your copper string lights around the top of each jar a couple times. The lights will then illuminate the contents of your witch jar with a magical glow!
If you don’t have the copper string lights that’s ok, you can still make the jars and illuminate them by placing small candles in front. The last photo on the page will show you what my jars looked like without the string lights. Still amazing!
Fun, right? If you’re inspired to make these witch jars for Yule or any other time of year, I wanna see! So please share them on Facebook, Insta, or by sending me an email. Links at the bottom xo.
Sign up for new book announcements and free printable pages!
Get this Moon Magic set now!
... + more magical freebies & infrequent newsletters